How to Get More Consulting and Coaching Clients By Accident
The key to getting more clients by accident is the Fly By The Seat of Your Pants business model. In this simple business model:
- You don’t have to choose a target audience so you are free to go after anybody and everybody.
- There are no set services so you are customize your offerings for each potential new client.
- Your pricing structure is baed on what you think your potential client is willing or able to pay.
- You only market on days you feel inspired to reach out to people.
The Fly by the Seat of Your Pants business model has no systems so you are not constrained by a consistent process for getting clients. This approach guarantees that you will get more clients by accident. It’s the perfect business model if you enjoy working long hours and then guessing how much money you will earn each month.
So of course I am joking about getting more clients this way… well kind of.
I’ve meet too many coaches and consultants who are pleasantly surprised at the end of the month when they’ve made enough money to cover their expenses. If your current way to get clients is hit or miss, I wonder how much money you are losing by not being profitable on purpose.
Flexibility is really important to me – it’s one of the reasons I became my own boss. But there’s a big difference between flexibility and flying by the seat of your pants. Genuine flexibility in your business never comes at the expense of being profitable.
This picture from Shena Tschofen, sums up flying by the seat of your pants. It might look pretty, but:
- you have no real control over where you are going,
- you are moving, but it’s really slow,
- most of your time is spent looking at other people and passing by real opportunities, and
- anything that flies by you has the potential to end your journey and send you plummeting to the ground.
Is that really how you want to run your business? I can guarantee that’s no way to run a sustainable and profitable business.
How would you like to get more clients on purpose?
One of the signs you are using the “flying by the seat of your pants” business model is an inconsistent client base. Or as I like to say: You get clients by accident. Maybe you’ll get a client from a referral, maybe you’ll meet someone at a networking event, maybe someone will reach out to you via the contact form on your site. I hope all those things are happening for you. I would love to see those things happening for you consistently (I’m sure your bank account would love it to).
When you are intentional about building a profitable business, you have four critical pillars of your business in place:
- profitable positioning
- profitable prospects
- profitable packaging and pricing, and
- profitable promotion
When you don’t have those pillars firmly in place, your business and your bank account will be like a rollercoaster ride. And unless you enjoy headaches and feeling nauseas at some point you will want to get of the ride and put your feet on solid ground.
These four pillars of a profitable business are exactly what I cover in my Profitable On Purpose program. Click here to learn more about how to work with me to create your customized playbook. Your Profitable Purpose on Playbook is the first step to stop getting clients by accident and start building a sustainable business.