Typically the media presents information about crimes committed against Black Americans with bias. I was actually excited to see that the majority of the media sites handled the murder of Bianca Nikol Roberson with fairness and accuracy. They didn’t make the focus her being black and her killer being white. They didn’t include unflattering images of her or downplay the fact that she was a recent highschool grad.
Making it a black and white issue would have sensationalized the story. Instead they kept it human; someone senselessly took the life of another person. The good news is that they have identified the suspect in her murder, you can about that here: Suspect arrested, ID’d in Chester Co. road rage killing.
Here are a few of the sites that got the story right:
- The New York Post included the cap and gown picture and notes in the headline that she was an honors student. However there is no mention of the race of her killer – they simply mention that he has blond hair.
- NBC News’ headline reads: College-Bound Teenager Fatally Shot During Road Rage Encounter, but does not mention at all that she is black. They do include a sketch of her killer and a video that shows her in cap and gown and reaction from her parents.
- Philadelphia CBS local news led with a video that focused on the tragedy and the pursuit of her killer.
- Hello Beautiful includes pictures of Bianca (without cap and gown) and the sketch of her killer. There is no mention of race.
- Heavy.com included additional information about Bianca’s life, but did not include a picture of her in cap and gown.
- Fox News (local channel) leads the article with a huge sketch of her killer and does not mention that she is black.
- The national Fox News site (foxnews.com) includes a picture of Bianca (two-thirds down the article) without a cap and gown and does not mention race at all, except to say in the very last paragraph that her killer has blond hair.
By the way there’s a Go Fund Me page set up to help support the family. Click here to contribute.